LifeEnergy believes it should be a cinch for you to live the GreenLife and understand what makes the GreenLife possible. Get ready to “get” renewable better than ever before with this guide to the GreenLife.
What is renewable energy?
Renewable energy (AKA green/sustainable energy) is energy that is obtained from natural, non-finite, and reliable energy sources. Using renewable resources is much less harmful to our environment than using traditional energy resources like oil, coal, and natural gas. And it can help save you money.
Some of the most common renewable energy sources include:
- Biomass: Energy derived from burning organic materials or turning organic materials into biofuel. These organic materials include manure, human sewage and garbage, crops and wood (ideally regrown), and wood waste such as chips.
- Geothermal energy: Energy derived from the difference in temperature between the Earth’s core and its surface.
- Hydropower: Energy derived from fast-moving or falling water.
- Tidal power: A type of hydropower derived from the oceanic tides that are created by the gravitational pull of the Sun and Moon.
- Solar energy: Energy derived from the Sun’s radiant light and heat.
- Wave power: Energy derived from waves generated by the wind (“wind waves”) blowing over the surface of a body of water.
- Wind power: Energy derived from air flowing through wind turbines — devices that can convert the wind’s kinetic energy into electrical energy.
How does renewable energy work?
100% renewable energy — sounds pretty awesome, right? We certainly think so. Only, we’ve noticed that some companies misrepresent what “100% renewable energy” actually means.
Let’s break it down:
1) All energy is distributed to homes and business from a power grid. The energy distributed on the grid always comes from a mix of renewable and nonrenewable energy sources. When you choose a 100% renewable energy plan, your local utility still powers your home from the generic, “mixed” electricity grid.
2) How does the renewable part come in to play, then? Here’s how: When you choose a 100% renewable energy plan, your energy producer also purchases renewable energy certificates from a renewable energy source. In fact, they purchase enough RECs to offset the nonrenewable energy sources you’ve used.
3) By choosing a 100% renewable energy plan, you’re not just increasing the amount of renewably-sourced energy in the power grid, you’re helping create a future where 100% of the energy in the power grid comes from renewable energy sources.
Why choose renewable energy?
Using renewable energy helps slow global warming. The sooner we start using more renewable energy, the sooner the temperatures will stop rising at such alarming rates — rates that are causing plant and animal extinction, extreme weather, higher sea levels, and agricultural issues.
Renewable energy has many other environmental benefits:
- Keeping it flowing: Renewable energy requires less water to produce and doesn’t touch earth’s finite resources
- Protecting the planet: Harvesting renewable energy causes much less damage to the earth than extracting fossil fuels through processes like drilling and fracking
- Breathing easy: Renewable energy production emits much less carbon dioxide (CO2) and other harmful matter, creating less air pollution and little-to-no global warming emissions
- Paying it forward: Using renewable energy creates a healthier, safer environment for humans and wildlife
Renewable energy also has some serious economic benefits:
- True freedom: Renewable energy helps the U.S. become energy-independent and less reliant on imported energy resources
- Powerful opportunities: Renewable energy providers create jobs in new and emerging markets
- Empower communities: Renewable energy provides rural communities (where renewable energy is often developed) with new opportunities and resources
Individual & community benefits
- Feeling all the warm fuzzies: By choosing to support 100% renewable energy, you’re helping preserve the diversity and beauty of Earth for future generations.
- Breathing easy: Again, non-green energy causes air pollution, which leads to all kinds of health issues, including respiratory problems such as asthma, neurological issues, and, in some cases, cancer. Green energy doesn’t cause air pollution, which helps you breathe easy, think clearer, and live longer.
- Freedom to choose: Once upon a time, in a country that was… well… our country, the only energy option we had was the local one. We weren’t allowed to choose who provided our energy. We had no say in what kind of energy our money went to support. Thanks to deregulation, now you have the power to change the earth for the better.
What are my LifeEnergy renewable options?
LifeEnergy sources our renewable energy from wind power, the cleanest of the clean energy sources. Our GreenLife options are built to meet your specific needs, whether you’re a business or an individual customer. Each plan is fixed-rate only; no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
For more information regarding our homeowner plans, — the Personalized Energy plan and the Simplified Energy plan — as well as our business plan — the Powerful Energy plan — contact us online or give us a call at 844-662-1222.
Go Green. Make the LifeSwitch today.